Monday, February 17, 2014

Sheep, Chickens and Bananas......

Meet 
Helga, Brenda, Origin, and Starlight.
Helga and Brenda are the Mums and Origin (as in State Of Origin as he was born the night of the second game) and Starlight are heading for the freezer very soon.


The poor darlings have been a bit hot though as it has taken the shearer a while to get here.
They were spending a lot of time in the shade and insisted on having hay as it was to hot for them to go out side.

But now they are most happy and are spending all day outside. They don't even come to me now when I go down to feed them.


We also HAD a very handsome ram called Rambo.
But one night while we were on holidays there was some strange going ons in these parts.
Sharing the sheep pen were my beautiful rare bread chickens and 2 roosters 22 in all.
They were very happy, until in one morning Cassie went down to feed the chooks and sheep and there were only 4...Yes 18 gone in one night AND Rambo was dead as well.
What happened???????
I hear you ask, we don't know, there was no injury at all to Rambo and no signs of feathers or disturbance at all. We think foxes took the chickens and may be poor Rambo died of fright.


Once we were home we kept a good eye on the remaining four. But not good enough. 
William feed them one morning and by that afternoon 2 more were gone and poor Rocky the rooster was hanging upside down in the bird netting, this is probably what saved him though.


Rocky was taken back to the old chook pen to be with our last Mumma hen and her two babies.
As you can see he is very happy to be back.


Mumma has trouble keeping these 2 in toe as they like to go under the netting 
to visit Dad.


They have free range around the banana trees and are very happy.
Soooo
any one got any chooks for sale?????
I hve to get some more as it is strange having to buy eggs.


My Bananas are loving it here as well as the chooks.
The ones above were planted in September.


The rest were planted last week.
I have from the back to the front 2 of each.
Pisang Ceylan
Dwarf Ducasse
Goldfinger
Blue Java
Bluggoe

They have all been sent from up North and here in QLD we had to get
a licence from the DPI to be able to plant them.


As you can see they have a bit of catching up to do.
I am looking forward to when we have bananas all year round.
That is why I have planted 5 different types at different times.

I hope I haven't bored you 
to much with my ramblings, may be I should update my blog more
then I wouldn't ramble so much...

Blessings
Mandy

1 comment:

  1. Mandy, that's sad about your chooks. We lost our guinea pigs last week when some dogs opened up their cage. I hope you got some rain last night. We didn't get too much up here on top of the hill but apparently there is more to come.

    ReplyDelete